A Memorable Teacher

Mrs Barth…..not only did Mrs Barth change my life but I’m pretty sure i changed hers too 🙂 Mrs. Barth was my sixth grade homeroom teacher, along with 24 other students that year. Sixth grade was my first year out of grade school, i was kind of on my own! Had my own locker, a schedule, and different classes.  The summer going into the middle school everyone waited to get their schedules in the mail to see who they got as a teacher and who was in our classes. (there were 3 grade schools merging to one middle school, so there were a ton on unfamiliar names) The day i got my schedule was a very bitter sweet day, i was in class with some of my best friends but we had MRS BARTH as a teacher. Rumor has it the lady was nuts, she was super mean and gave tons of homework!!

The first day of school, boy were the rumors on point! she was crazy, frizzy hair, tight clothes, stopping her lesson to put on lip liner and lipstick…oh and she loved to pic up her cell phone in class too!  One day as a class we came together and talked about Mrs. Barth and how crazy and mean she was, we needed a way to make her realize.  Me being the outgoing person i am said that i was going to walk up to her and tell her to her face!

Well i did just that! “Mrs. Barth, you are out of control as a teacher, you give way to much homework and you are always putting on your makeup in class and every dreads being in your class!”  DEAD SIELENCE.  My hear was racing a 1000 miles a minuet until i saw Mrs Barth’s eyes fill up with water and tears began falling down her face. She waited a few seconds then wrapped her arms around me and gave me a huge hug! (times have changed!!) The next period she made the whole class sit in a large circle and told us that a few things were going to change, she wanted our input on how she can improve her classroom. She realized that everyone knew what i had done.

The end of the year was one of the saddest things all 25 of us had to do. Not one person wanted to leave Mrs. Barth’s classroom.  We had  huge party and surprised her with a bracelet from Tiffany and Co.  At the end of the party Mrs. Barth told us that we were a special group of students that she will never ever forget. Mrs. Barth was the person that made me realize i wanted to be a teacher, she showed me how a teacher can be such an inspiration and role models to their students.

She taught me a lot, and we had a great relationship the following years. I still keep in touch with her today…rumor has it every year students wait to get their schedules hoping to be in Mrs. Barth’s class!! She told me that guidance counselors have been having trouble organizing who goes where!

2 thoughts on “A Memorable Teacher

1. Jeanne Incantalupo

That really is some story! I am shocked. Did she call your parents at all? How long had she been teaching to be so unorganized and have such a reputation? I am glad that it worked out.

2. Loretta Radford

That is some story. She does sound a little off. How old was this lady at the time? where you alone when you spoke with her? and Im not surprised you were the outspoken one!! Im glad it all worked out in the end and that she changed for the better and continued that way.